Setting education goals is not complicated. Get started with the steps below.
Think about your overall education goals. Your overall goals might be the answer to one of the following questions:
- What do you want to get out of education?
- How do you want to put your education to work?
- How do you want to feel once you’ve accomplished your educational goal?
Write a clear goal statement. This doesn’t need to be long. It might be one of the following:
- Get a better job
- Get a job in a different field
- Get a promotion
- Finish your bachelor’s degree
- Feel better about yourself
- Set an example for your children
- Earn more money
- Enhance and expand your skills
- Explore an interest or hobby
Identify steps that will move you closer to your goal. These will become your education or training activities. Everyone will have different activities, depending on where they are in their planning. Some activities you might include are:
- Decide on a career you want to pursue.
- Learn about training requirements for a job of interest.
- Learn more about the range of education or training options available for you
- Search for a local short-term training program.
- Search for a university or college program most suitable for you.
- Learn about the cost of training, financial aid available and other ways to pay for the training.